Waipawa School was opened in 1865 with a roll of 18 students and was originally located in Waverly Street. In 1938, the present site for Primary Departments opened in Harker Street. The new school, (presently referred to as ‘B Block’) has five classrooms set in 8.5 acres of flat land. A secondary school was added in 1953 in front of the primary school, now referred to as ‘A Block’. The swimming pool was built in 1951, the school hall was opened in 1966 and in 2003 the new CHB Technology Centre was opened and provides many of the Year 7 & 8 students in CHB with technology education.